When you take your business online, there are a lot of decisions to make. One of the most important choices is what your domain name will be. It may sound quite simple but there are actually quite a few things to consider.
Your Business Address Online
You only have one chance to make a first impression. You want your customers to be able to find you easily and you want your domain name to properly reflect your business. Choose a domain name that captures your business and is unique to it. Should you choose a generic name, there is nothing to differentiate you from everyone else in the market and it will make you harder to find.
Do Your Homework
When you decide on the perfect domain name, get online and do some research. Is anyone else using the same name, maybe with a different extension? It’s best to use a name that is original to avoid any legal complications.
Make it Easy to Remember
There’s nothing more frustrating than a long and complicated domain name. The harder it is to remember the address, the more likely your customers will get it wrong and you risk losing business. Making your domain name short and simple eliminates this problem. It’s also best to avoid using numbers and symbols.
What’s The Best Extension to Use?
Here is a list of common domain extensions used in the UK and what type of businesses generally use them.
- .co.uk – The most common extension for UK based websites
- .com – The most common extension for international websites
- .org.uk – The most common extension for non-profit UK websites
- .net.uk – The most common extension for technology-based UK websites
- .me.uk – The most common extension for personal non-commercial UK websites
- .info.uk – The most common extension for information only based UK websites
- .ltd.uk – The most common for limited UK websites
Talk to Your Web Designer
If you are still not sure what your domain name should be, talk to your web designer. They are the experts and can point you in the right direction. They might also have suggestions that you haven’t considered. Viable Design can help you with this, visit https://www.viabledesign.co.uk/